What documents do I need to file a tax return in the United Kingdom?

16th Oct 2019

Are you employed in the UK? You may be aligible for a tax refund. What documents will you need to get your money back?

In order to receive a tax refund from Great Britain you will need the following:

  • the P60 form
  • the P45 form
  • a National Insurance Number

The P60 form

This form is a document that confirms the amount of tax you paid in a previous tax year. It is issued by your employer by the 31st of May of each year. Without this document you cannot apply for a tax refund, therefore it is very important that you have it!

The P45 form

It is a document which shows paid taxes during your employment in a tax year. It is issued by your employer after ending the work relationship. It consists of 3 parts:

  • Part 1 – your former employer sends this part to the tax office
  • Part 1A – this part is for you to keep
  • Parts 2 and 3 – these are for your new employer

National Insurance Number

This is an identification number of the taxpayer. In the P45 and P60 forms you will find this number in the top part.

I want to file a tax return