Tax return in Estonia

1st Nov 2022

Worked abroad in Estonia? You may be entitled to receive a tax refund. Find out more in our article below.

Where to start from?

Firstly, you need to know if you are an Estonian tax resident or not. According to Estonian law, each employee who has stayed in Estonia for more than 183 days per calendar year is a tax resident. You must have been employed and worked directly for an Estonian company inside the country.

Secondly, your employer paid taxes on your behalf (social and medical insurance, etc.). At the end of every tax year (31th of December in Estonia), each employer should provide his employees with the so-called confirmation of the taxable income. For non-residents, your employer should give you a ‘Vormi TSD lisa 2’ document.

Thirdly, you will need to provide your ‘isikukood’ - national identification number. Each employee should be registered after starting working in Estonia and automatically receive this number. If you don’t have it, you will need to send a request to get one.

When to file a tax return?

You need to file a tax return in Estonia, if:

  • you were employed and worked there,
  • you received dividends from Estonia or
  • you received an income from selling a property.

Officially, you need to send a filled tax return to the Estonian tax department till the 30th of April each year, so you will receive a refund by 1st of October the same year. But for non-residents, you can apply for a tax return up to 3 years back.

Ask our tax consultant for more information and we will help you to get your refund from Estonia!

I want to file a tax return