(+420) 234 261 904 info@neotax.eu

Earning documents : what are the differences and similarities in documents from EU-countries

5th Sep 2022

One might agree with this statement, but still, there are some tips on how to become a tax expert.

The hardest thing to understand in the world is the income tax.

Albert Einstein

It can be even harder for employees to understand the taxation system if they live in one country and work in another one. The basic thing where you can start your research about taxes is a document called Confirmation of a taxable income, in other words - your earning document.

What does this document contain, what is it for and are there any similarities in confirmations from different countries? You will get your answer in this article.

Confirmation of a taxable income

Usually, you can receive this document from your employer at the end of the tax year. Here you will find your income, paid income tax, other paid taxes (for example, church tax) or paid insurance (medical and social). That information could be found in all confirmations, regardless of the country the employer worked.

TIP: tax year period may vary depending on the country of interest. For example, in Czech Republic tax year is the same as the calendar year, from the 1st of January to the 31st of December. In the United Kingdom tax year begins on 6th of April and ends on 5th of April.

What should be always mentioned in the earning document?

Here is a couple of points:

  • date of issue - date, when the document was created,
  • employee’s name and surname - your personal information,
  • TIN - national identification number. It has different names depending on the country (VČP in Czech Republic or PPS number in Ireland), but the aim of those numbers is only one - to identificate an individual.
  • income, paid taxes, other statements (insurance, overtime work),
  • name of the employer or company - including full name of the company, address or registration number.

Why do I need this confirmation?

According to the existing law, you can not file a tax return without this document. It is one of the obligatory documents, which are attached to the tax declaration.

TIP: if your employer didn’t provide you with the confirmation of taxable income, you can request it by yourself or use our Replacement service and we will get this document for you!

What are the differences between documents?

Please, make sure you receive monthly payslips from your employer. Payslips are not the confirmation of taxable income and can not be used while filing a tax return. They are usually used as a communication between employee and the accountant, so the former can check his salary, paid taxes etc.

Read also:

My employer did not send me my yearly earning summary. What do I do?

Do you need to get your earning document from your employer who isn't willing to give it to you?

My employer did not send me my yearly earning summary. What do I do?

And, of course, the names of confirmations are different in each country. See some of them here:

Get your confirmation and fill in a tax return with us!

I want to file a tax return