Belgium - Child benefits - Allocations Familiales

1st Mar 2018

Our clients can also apply with us for child benefits from Belgium. In case that clients apply on their own, we can provide them consultation.

Belgian child benefits are called Kinderbijslag and if neither you or your employer did not apply for them, we will be glad to help you!

Who can get the Kinderbijslag?

Anyone who has a Belgian employment contract and has signed up for the Belgian program of social security.

What makes a child eligible for benefits?

The child has to be a resident of any European Union country and can receive benefits until the end of August of the year they reach 18. It is also possible to get child benefits for children between 18 and 25 but they have to be students, work less than 240 hours per quarter, earn less than 520,08 EUR per month and/or meet other criteria. Your child also has to live with you during your working stay in Belgium. The only exception is when they are outside of Belgium due studying which is connected to their Belgian school.

What documents do I need to get the child benefits?

  • Copy of birth certificates of all of your children under 25
  • Copy of your marriage certificate
  • Copy of your payroll document Fiche
  • Copy of ID cards of both parents
  • Confirmation of monthly costs of child(ren)

How much money can I get?

Here you can find the average amount you can get. Please notice that the final amount can slightly vary according to the region you apply for.

1st child2nd child3rd child on
Monthly amount95,58 €177,27 €264,67 €


On top of the monthly amount, it's possible to apply for supplements, which vary according to the children's age and family's status. As we'll be processing your case, we can give a fair estimation about the amount you are entitled for.

How many years back can I apply for child benefits?

You can apply 5 years back.

How long does it take to get the child benefits?

It takes from 4 to 6 month on average.

Find out more information about taxes in Belgium here!