(+420) 234 261 904 info@neotax.eu

I worked in Austria and come from a country outside the EU. How do I file a tax return?

21st May 2020

The rules for non-residents of Austria differ from residents. Filing a tax return may be more complicated if a person comes from a country with which Austria does not have an agreement to avoid double taxation.

The basic rule for citizens from countries without an agreement states: taxes are paid wherever you are and for your entire income, including any rental income from your home country. Those who live and work in Austria for a shorter period (less than 6 months) are still subject to tax in their home country. However, under certain conditions, people can be treated as subject to unlimited income tax in Austria. Whether this is possible depends on certain income limits:

  • 90 % of worldwide income is from Austria or
  • Income out of Austria is not higher than 11000 €

The advantage is that you can use all personal tax benefits as well as a whole range of family-related benefits. These include the tax deduction of special expenses.

Allowances and special expenses can be for example:

  • single parent’s allowance
  • children’s allowance
  • flat-rate allowance for commuters
  • professional expenses (e.g. business travel expenses)
  • two households necessitated by work
  • extraordinary expenses (e.g. hospital charges)

I want a tax return