(+420) 234 261 904 info@neotax.eu

Form S1 (E 106) - Registration for benefits in-kind in your home country while working in Germany

23rd Oct 2022

You will need the S1 form if you are working in Germany but still have permanent residence in your home country. How to get it?

What is the S1 form (former E 106 form)?

You are automatically compulsorily insured in Germany as a result of your employment in that country, which means you are entitled to German healthcare. As it is not possible to take out compulsory insurance in two countries at the same time, the health insurance in your home country ceases. It follows that healthcare can only be provided in Germany or in the country of insurance. However, the portable S1 form or 'Registration for benefits in kind' will also allow you to benefit from full health care in your home country, even while you are working in Germany.

Concept of "Portable form"

This is a special form used for communication between the social security institutions of the Member States. The portable form therefore guarantees certain rights.

How do I know if it is a portable form?

The portable form has an EU flag in the top left corner. In the top right-hand corner it is marked with a reference to social security coordination and at the bottom you will find the name of the authority that issued it.

Who is the S1 form suitable for?

The form is particularly important for people who work in Germany (employee, self-employed) but regularly travel to their home country, at least for one day a week. In this context, there is therefore a presumption of the need for healthcare also in the home country. The right to health care in your home country is not automatic, you have to apply for it.

How do I get an S1 form?

You need to apply for an S1 form from the German health insurance company. To apply, you will need:

  • ID card,
  • a German health card,
  • an employment contract or a confirmation of employment from your employer,
  • a completed application form (you will receive it on the spot).

On the application form you must state that you commute to your home country every week. Otherwise, your application may not be approved. It is also important to indicate the health insurance company you wish to have in your home country. It is up to you to choose your home health insurance company. The German health insurer will then issue an S1 form which must be delivered to the health insurer in your home country. If your application is approved by your home health insurance company, a "Public Health Insurance Card for the Insured Abroad" will be delivered to your permanent home address. This health card will entitle you to healthcare in your home country.

It is also possible to apply for an S1 form from your home health insurance company, but this is a more time-consuming process.

Need help getting the form or translating documents?

Contact us