Child benefit in Germany / Kindergeld

18th May 2022

Are you working in Germany and have children? Then you can apply for German child benefits.

What is child benefit/Kindergeld?

Child benefit or Kindergeld is a financial allowance for parents for the upbringing and maintenance of their child/children. In Germany, child benefits are considered one of the most important allowances.

Am I entitled to child benefit?

The basic precondition for entitlement to the allowance is compulsory social insurance in Germany, which you automatically acquire with your employment. It follows that if you work in Germany, you are compulsorily socially insured and therefore entitled to the allowance.

Who can claim child benefit?

Only one of the child's legal guardians can apply for child benefit, e.g. the child's mother or father, or an adoptive or grandparent parent. However, only the legal guardian who lives in the same household as the child can claim child benefit.

How much is child benefit and how is it paid?

Child allowances are paid on a monthly basis and the amount is determined according to the number of children as follows:

First and second child Third child Fourth and each additional child
219 € 225 € 250 €

How can I apply for child benefits?

The application for child benefit is made to the relevant Familienkasse office using forms E 401 and E 411. You will also need copies of the following documents with your application:

  • the child's birth certificate - to prove the existence of the child,
  • marriage certificate/divorce decree/death certificate - to prove marital status,
  • payslips/annual statement/Steuer ID - to prove income.
I want help getting child benefit

When can I claim child benefit?

  • As soon as you start work - if you start working in Germany,
  • as soon as you register for residence - if you move to Germany,
  • as soon as the child is born - if the child was born in Germany.

For how long can I receive child benefit?

You can receive child benefits for each child up to the age of 18. Older children, or children up to the age of 25, can also receive the allowance, provided they continue their education at secondary or higher education level. In this case, the Familienkasse must be informed of this situation by means of the E 401 form, which is certified by the school.

Reporting the change to the Familienkasse

If you are already receiving child benefit, make sure you report any changes concerning you or your child to the Familienkasse. This could be a change of employer, a change of residence, a change of bank account or a change related to your child's studies.

!!Important: Child benefit can be claimed up to 6 months retrospectively.

I want to get child benefit backdated

Do you need help with obtaining, completing or translating documents? Please contact us if you need help.