Italy | Neotax

Tax return for Italy

Price list

  • preCalc
    19 EUR
    Online Tax Calculation
    • Online tax calculator
    • Immediate tax result
    • Tax result certificate available to print
  • Consult
    99EUR / per year
    Consulting services
    • We assist in coping with your specific situation
    • We assist with multiple source income and international taxation
    99 EUREUR / per year + 35% from refund
    Assisted tax processing
    • You register using an online form
    • We prepare your tax return and file to the tax office
    • We represent you in front of the tax office
    • We help with communication with the tax office
    • We create bank account for receiving tax refund
    • You can buy our other consulting / help services anytime

How does it work?


  • 1. I worked in the Italy and paid taxes. Do I file a tax return?
    • Everybody who works abroad and pays an income tax should file a tax return. Under certain conditions, you can refund some of the taxes you (your employer) paid. To estimate if you are eligible for a tax refund, we prepared an easy to use application which calculates your taxes and let’s you decide what to do next.
  • 2. How much taxes are paid in the Italy?
    • The tax rate varies by your income between 23 - 43 %. There are nevertheless special options for expats living long-term in Italy to decrease the tax burden - so called impatriati. Further, you can decrease your tax burden if you have children or spouse.
  • 3. What a “tax refund” means?
    • A refund means that your employer paid on your behalf more taxes than was supposed to, and you can get them back. By filing a tax return, you are actually reporting to the Italian Tax Office, how much you earned as gross income and how much you paid on taxes, while you stayed in Italy.
  • 4. What documents do you need for your tax refund?
    • In order to get your income tax refund in as quickly as possible and to apply for the highest amount, you need to have:
      • A CUD form from each employer.
      • Documents related to your children or spouse if you claim them as dependents.
  • 5. What is a CUD form?
    • The CUD form is a form, that each employer has to give to his employees at the end of the year. The form reports the employee's annual wage and the taxes withheld from each paycheck. The Italian employer must send the CUD form to employees before January 31 of each calendar year.
  • 6. What if you do not have all the necessary documents?
    • Even if you do not have all the above-mentioned documents, you can still apply for your tax refund. We offer a “replacement” service - we will contact your former employer/s and will request copies of your earning documents as your agent. Nevertheless, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to obtain those documents so it is preferable if you make sure that your employer provides you with the CUD form himself.
  • 7. How many years back can I file my tax refund?
    • You can go back as far as 3 years from the year in which you apply.
  • 8. How long does it take to get my tax refund?
    • On average it takes 6 to 12 months if the tax return is submitted on time for the most recent tax year. If you miss the deadline, the processing time can increase significantly, on average by 1 year.
  • 9. When is the deadline for filing the tax return?
    • Your tax return should be filed at the Italian tax office on June 30th for the most recent year and by September 30th for older tax years. Nevertheless, it is highly advised to provide us with all documents as soon as possible, preferably by March/April.
  • 10. Why is your tax calculation different from the actual Tax Office calculation?
    • In some cases, the tax preparer calculates the tax on your Tax Return higher or lower than the Tax Office shows in the final calculation. What are the most frequent causes?
      • The Tax Office had different data on your record (your employer reported different data, than you have on your CUD form)
      • Your employer wrongly paid less/more than was supposed to
      • You may have some debt/overpayment from previous year

Blog | Posts about Italy

  • corona-italy2
    23. March 2020

    If you have worked in Italy and need now to submit your tax return, be advised that there are some changes regarding the fiscal obligations as well: in other words, it means that the deadline to submit tax returns is postponed.

  • piggy-4341878_640
    03. March 2020

    You might have returned from Italy where you worked during the past year. You might have heard that there is an option to receive some taxes back from Italy. Let us clarify what the options are.

  • italy-516005_640
    27. February 2020

    A 50% tax relief, so-called “Lavoratori impatriati” was introduced for individuals a few years ago, performing their working activity with a permanent residency in Italy. Thanks to this tax allowance, taxpayers were able to pay a progressive income tax on 50% of their income.

  • rome-3857741_960_720
    23. March 2018

    Our clients can also apply with us for child benefits from Italy. In case that clients have applied on their own we can provide them consultation.

Thank you for your message. We will respond to you as soon as possible.