Australia | Neotax

Tax return for Australia

Price list

  • preCalc
    Online Tax Calculation
    • FREE online tax calculator
    • Immediate tax result
    • Tax result certificate available to print
  • Basic
    Do-it-yourself online version
    • Do-it-yourself version, done in 15 minutes
    • You fill out the online questionaire form
    • We send you your tax return and detailed instructions
    • No additional customer support is available
    • Entire communication with tax office is done by you
    • You can buy our consulting / help services anytime
    99 EUREUR / per year
    Consulting services
    • We assist in coping with your specific situation
    • We assist with multiple source income and international taxation
    • Tax result certificate available to print

How does it work?


  • 1. I worked in Australia and paid taxes. Do I file a tax return?
    • Everybody who works abroad and pays income tax should file a tax return. Under certain conditions, you can receive a refund from some of the taxes you (your employer) paid. We refund part of the income tax from Australia.
  • 2. What taxes are paid in Australia?
    • Most major business taxes, such as income tax, are collected by the Australian Government through the Australian Tax Office. In some instances state-based taxes also apply, most commonly for payroll tax. Temporary residents are also required to pay tax on income earned in Australia, though at different rates to those that apply for Australian residents and Australia holds a number of tax treaties with other nations to prevent double taxation of foreign entities.
  • 3. What does “tax refund” mean?
    • A refund means that your employer paid on your behalf more tax than was necessary, and you can get some of it back. By filing a tax return, you are actually reporting to the Tax Office how much you earned as gross income and how much you paid on taxes while you stayed in Australia.
  • 4. Why do some agencies claim that they will refund MORE tax overpayment for you than the others?
    • There is no such a thing as “more refund” on your taxes. Be careful, because this might be a marketing trick to attract you to sign a contract. If a tax specialist does your tax return properly, according to the Australian tax law, the refund can be calculated in only one possible way! If an agency applies tax deductions that you are NOT entitled to, your refund will increase on one hand (you will get back more money), but you are at a very high risk that you will have to pay it back to the Tax Office.
  • 5. What documents do you need for your tax refund?
    • In order to get your income tax refund as quickly as possible and to apply for the highest amount, you need to have:
      • PAYG Payment Summary from each employer
      • Type of visa (Student or WHM visa)
      • Working period
      • Marriage certificate or birth certificate of child if applicable
  • 6. What is a PAYG payment summary?
    • Under pay as you go (PAYG) withholding, each of your employers give you a payment summary showing the payments they made to you and the amounts they withheld from those payments during a financial year. Most employers have until 31 July to check their employee’s income statement and finalise it for the year.
  • 7. What if you do not have all the necessary documents?
    • Even if you do not have all the documents mentioned above, you can still apply for your tax refund. We offer a “replacement” service - we will contact your former employer/s and will request copies of your earning documents (wage slip) as your agent.
  • 8. How many years back can I file my tax refund?
    • You can go back as far as 2 years.
  • 9. How long does it take to get my tax refund?
    • On average, a tax return takes approximately 6 months to be processed by the tax offices. This is counted from the time your documents are received by the tax authorities. The actual time may vary on a case by case basis.
  • 10. When is the deadline for filing a tax return?
    • The Australian income year ends on 30 June. You have from 1 July to 31 October to lodge your tax return for the previous income year. In other words, your tax return for the financial year from 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020 must be filed by 31 October 2020.
  • 11. What are the penalties for late tax return filing/tax paying?
    • Firstly, the tax office will issue you a Failure To Lodge penalty if your tax return isn’t lodged by the due date. This fine is calculated at the rate of one penalty unit for each period of 28 days or part thereof that the document is overdue, up to a maximum of five penalty units. The value of a penalty unit is currently $210, which makes the maximum penalty which can be applied for an individual – $1050.
  • 12. Why is your tax calculation different from the actual Tax Office calculation?
    • In some cases, a tax official calculates the tax on your Tax Return higher or lower than the Tax Office shows in the final calculation. What are the most frequent causes?
      • The Tax Office had different data on your record (your employer reported different data than you have on your PAYG)
      • Your employer wrongly paid less/more than he/she was supposed to
      • You may have some debt/overpayment from the previous year


Thank you for your message. We will respond to you as soon as possible.